With 25 years of experience as a designer and educator, Saumya has advocated slow conscious living and conservation of indigenous cultures in her classroom, at global conferences and as a TEDx speaker too. As the founding course leader of the Fashion department at IIAD, she is committed to creating an inclusive, rich learning environment with diverse viewpoints, talents and experiences. An alumna of NIFT (Delhi) and NTU (UK), she has the unique experience of
setting up design departments of NIFT Chennai, Pearl Academy Noida and IIAD Delhi. Saumya holds a distinction in her Masters’ degree and PG certification in higher education from Nottingham Trent University.
Strongly influenced by Indian identity rooted in traditional skills, her creative practice spans across fashion, textile, craft practices, illustration and dance, constantly pushing the limits of body and space. In 2014, her textile installation titled, ‘The New Body’, was showcased in Florence, Italy.
As the co-founder of Zameen Astar Foundation (ZAF) she is creating livelihood for Shershabadi community and conserving their craft of quilted textiles called Kheta. Her on-going research has been published and presented at multiple internationally acclaimed forums.
She is currently involved in setting up a unique online museum of brooms in India. A trained dancer, Saumya also loves to collect seeds and pods from all over the world.
• Design process and sustainable practices
• Form and structure in fashion
• History of clothing
• Textile as an expression of communities
• Migration and material culture
• Craft conservation
• “The Anonymous Descendants of Sher Shah Suri” (with Indrajit De) in ‘Together to Get
There’, Cumulus Conference Paris 2018
• Children’s illustrated books titled, The Hair Scare & The Tale of Tails, published by
Talks and Presentations
• Technical Paper Presentation: Harnessing the power of Research, Design & Technology
to scale up Social impact, 2 nd Nov 2018 at INSIGHT, NID Ahmedabad
• Technical Paper Presentation: The Anonymous Descendants of Sher Shah Suri, 11 th -13 th
April 2018 – Cumulus Conference Paris
• Paper Presentation: Crafting the Indian Fashionscape: The Age of the Enabler, 1 st – 2 nd
Feb 2018 – International Conference, National Institute of Fashion Technology, Delhi