Pragya Sharma has been involved in academics since the past three years, prior to which she was working as a menswear designer in the industry. She was initially trained as an engineer and then moved on to fashion design. She firmly believes that this interesting blend of a technical subject along with design gives her practice a very distinct touch and sensibility and she finds it quite interesting working that way.
Her research work is mainly in the area of sustainability and zero waste design. She works on different zero waste projects, exploring not just how to reuse the existing waste being generated but also different possibilities on how she can creatively design around waste. As part of the Redress Design Award Alumni network, her collection was exhibited at Centre Stage, HKTDC, Hong Kong, 4-8th September, 2019.
As a design researcher, she has written research papers and spoken at conferences on themes like zero waste design, sustainability in education and slow fashion. She was also selected as an actant for Five Million Incidents Projects, as part of which she conducted a zero waste design workshop at Goethe Institut/ Max Mueller Bhavan, New Delhi.
As a design academician, she continually pursues her research in pedagogy as well. As part of the academics, she successfully completed her Post Graduation Certification in Teaching & Learning in Higher Education (PGCLTHE) in 2018-19 from Kingston University, London.
- Design process
- Visual presentation
- Sustainability in fashion and design
- Sustainability in the fashion industry Zero Waste design
- Design pedagogy
- Zero Waste: Exploring Alternatives Through Folding’ in conference proceedings for LeNS World Distributed Conference, Bengaluru 2019
- Story titled ‘Being Katharine Hepburn’ published in Fashion Revolution’s Fanzine issue 004 Fashion Craft Revolution, 2019
- Featured in Redress Design Award annual magazine 2018 & 2019
Talks and Presentations
- Paper Presentation: Zero Waste: Exploring Alternatives Through Folding, 3rd-5th April 2019 at LeNS World Distributed Conference, Srishti Institute of Technology, Bengaluru
- Paper Presentation: Teacher’s training for sustainable development in the context of design education, 9-10th Sept 2019 at International Conference on Sustainability Education (ICSE),
India Habitat Centre (IHC), New Delhi
- Took a workshop on ‘Zero Waste Fashion Design’ at Goethe InstitutInstitute/ Max Mueller Bhavan, New Delhi as part of Five Million Incidents Projects, 21st Sept 2019.