Foundation Programme in Design at IIAD offers a specific style of education with a clear focus on thinking through making.
Students are strongly encouraged to develop their own individual creative approach, supported by the following teaching practices:
- Analysis of the project brief, research and insight gathering.
- Strategies to stimulate creative thinking, idea generation and the design process.
- Guided workshops to enable creative material usage, experimentation and manipulation
- Guided workshops to enable the use of digital and analogue communication and presentation tools
- Seminars, tutorials and crits to support students’ ability to communicate verbally with confidence.
- Project reviews and crits to promote peer discussion and debate.
- Lectures to impart general design and subject specific knowledge to stimulate debate.
- Tutorials to encourage critical self-reflection in relation to future sustainable design practice.